Sunday, September 25, 2011

Adventures in Grain

So I was driving to church this morning, and notice some milo that had been swathed down, leaving the crop insurance mohawk strip in the middle.  The bales were baled all in white plastic and upright instead of laying on their side.  Hmmm.  So of course I txt J and say what the heck is that?

Now let me say, that on the farm where I grew up we had cows--we didn't farm.  Ask me the difference between a heifer and a steer, I can tell ya.  Ask me the difference in milo or soybeans--didn't have a clue.  True, driving down the road, I could see different crops, but didn't really know what they were.  I even thought the corn cob came out of the top tassle part (I know--dumb).  I just really had no clue.  However, J is more farmer than cow person, so he's been educating me  :-)  And no the cob does not come out the top.  I can now tell the difference between soybeans, milo (white and red), wheat, corn, etc.  I still get tripped up every now and then.  About a month ago I had to drive north and saw some really tall milo.  Now me, I'm like wow they must have had a lot of rain! (where we live everything's kind of short and puny looking because of no rain).  So I tell J wow their milo looks great it was like 4-5 feet tall--LOL.  Turns out that's atlas a superkind of milo.  Oh, he's good to humor me :-)

So it turns out these cotton ball looking bales of milo are sealed so it lets it ferment and turn into silage--hmph, who knew?  I didn't  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment