Monday, May 6, 2013

Jiggle the Juice Loose

So we got another bottle calf!  Yeah!  Or so I thought before I tried feeding 2 calves at the same time. 

So this little guy's momma's milk dried up and he subsequently got sick.  Sometimes a cow's milk will dry up for various reasons--pretty sure this one is just old age--she done!  LOL.  Anyways, grab this little guy and head to the barn.  Arnold has a roomie!  Well this calf was already 3 weeks old and used to getting milk from a big black momma cow and not some crazy person in pink boots.  So it was a challenge getting Sylvester (I named him Sylvester because he's kind of sly....) to take the bottle.  Plus there's Arnold all up in my business, "But Momma that bottle's for me!"  Schwoo!  Yesterday I got them to feed at the same time!  DOUBLE-BAM!  Two bottles, two hands, two calves....oh its a party in the barn!  I have supreme respect for human mothers of twins!  Can't even imagine. 

Isn't he cute?!?!


Another challenge with 2 calves is that Arnold finishes his bottle before Sylvester and starts doing his thing....the bump to jiggle the juice loose.  Calves will head-butt their momma's udders to jiggle the juice loose for more milk....well there's a slight disparity in the situation that I don't have udders and head-butting me there isn't the most pleasant thing in the world.  Maybe that's why J gave the bottle-feeding job to me--LOL. 

Here they are--aren't they precious?


Bottles need handles on them though...those things get slippery!


No comments:

Post a Comment