Wednesday, May 1, 2013

How To Wrangle a Bull

A couple of months ago, after one of our infamous snowfalls, I got to wrangle a bull....

So J was feeding cows in the tractor and somehow Weird Al got out and decided he wanted to play in the snow.  Well Weird Al is a pretty tame and nonchalant bull most of the time.  I don't get worried when I have to get in the pen with him or walk beside him in the pasture.  However, in the snow, he was kind of like a Labrador retriever...just a REALLY big one.  I'm sure you all have seen dogs play in the snow, rolling around, trying to catch it, rolling around in it some more, lick it, shake it off when it gets on their fur.  Well take that amount of frivolity times 250--schwoo!  So here I am and I see Weird Al running into the snow bank.  Hugh (the other bull who was in the pen) starts howling at him and Weird Al gets agitated and starts howling back, all the while rolling around in the snow.  I run over the fence, over another fence, hop through the corral, and head to the barn.  Weird Al by this time had wondered over to the barn with the grain bin, thinking he had struck gold.  But the other implements and another snow bank got his attention, so off he went again.  I am freaking out trying to wave at J--wondering how far Weird Al was going to run around and what he was going to run into.  Well I grabbed a white bucket and filled it with grain and got into the mini-donkey pen.  (Lucky and Charlotte were inside the barn) and waved my grain-bucket carrot stick at Weird Al, hoping he would see me and smell the grain.  He rambles over and I dump some on the ground and he licks it up, then starts howling when its gone.  Well I hang over the corral fence with my magic bunk and somehow lure him into the pen, once he gets through the gate, I shut it and throw the rest of the grain on the ground.  **heart beating at overtime speed!**  Schwoo!  J comes back around and sees me with the grain bucket and goes what's going on...oh nothing much just captured a 2500 lb bull by myself....

No comments:

Post a Comment