Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Heart Inside a Navy Corduroy Jacket

So in the fall of 1993 I heard the below words for the first time as a young greenhand in FFA.  In that same fall I memorized the whole creed and competed in that event at contest.  What do the words mean?  Why are they so important?  I don't know, but reading those words again, I hear myself practising it with my Dad (oddly enough it hadn't changed so much that he didn't remember it as well), and saying it in front of judges in a navy corduroy jacket.  I do believe in the future of agriculture and creed for what it stands for.  I believe that the farm life that J and are creating and have is a wonderful vibrant thing...and a small part of the greater good.  Through our combined efforts, we provide not only for ourselves but feed others.  That may sound idealistic--but I do believe with in the words below, and what they stand for.

I believe in the future of agriculture, with a faith born not of words but of deeds - achievements won by the present and past generations of agriculturists; in the promise of better days through better ways, even as the better things we now enjoy have come to us from the struggles of former years.

I believe that to live and work on a good farm, or to be engaged in other agricultural pursuits, is pleasant as well as challenging; for I know the joys and discomforts of agricultural life and hold an inborn fondness for those associations which, even in hours of discouragement, I cannot deny.


I believe in leadership from ourselves and respect from others. I believe in my own ability to work efficiently and think clearly, with such knowledge and skill as I can secure, and in the ability of progressive agriculturists to serve our own and the public interest in producing and marketing the product of our toil.


I believe in less dependence on begging and more power in bargaining; in the life abundant and enough honest wealth to help make it so--for others as well as myself; in less need for charity and more of it when needed; in being happy myself and playing square with those whose happiness depends upon me.


I believe that American agriculture can and will hold true to the best traditions of our national life and that I can exert an influence in my home and community which will stand solid for my part in that inspiring task.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you kept your navy FFA jacket. You enjoyed it so much when you were involved in the Neodesha chapter. I was so sad when the C'ville chapter didn't work out so well. I think you learned a lot and the Neodesha sponsor was someone any student could look up to and respect.

    I'm also glad you have found your niche with Jeremy on the farm. Go farmers!!!!

    ReplyDelete