Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Why Yes I Do Remember When It was -16 outside

So I was talking to my boss the other day, and somehow the crazy KS weather came up.  Super hot summer, really cold winter, blah blah blah.  He said, well you remember that day it was -16?  And I said, actually I do, rather vividly--here's why....

J goes out to Goodland once a year to hunt mule deer with his friends.  Great, go have fun, I can manage by myself for a couple of days--it is a major crime district out here in the middle of nowhere--but hey I've got watch-cows.  Chores really aren't that bad anyways--make sure the cows have water, feed the horse, cats, etc.  I think I have it covered.  That is until I walk outside, before heading to the gym and work, and its -16 out, and what does that make water do?  Freeze!  Oh my loving husband said, if we get a little freeze, it will just create a layer no thicker than a boot can go through.  Uh-huh.  This tank had 3-4 inches of ice!  I could have skated across it.  And where's the ax?  Oh who knows--I'm sure it was in a safe locked place in his shop where I would never find it.  What do I find?  A garden spade.  I'm out there hacking away at this iced-over tank with a garden spade!  After a few hacks, the spade loses its hold on the handle and just starts spinning around the end.  So here I am--freezing, hacking away, with a spinning garden spade, at 6:00 in the morning. 

J calls me later that morning to ask--I heard it was cold--how is everything?  haha, where's the ax honey--I need to find it so I can use it on you!  LOL, just kidding.  He actually did feel bad, and since then, when its cold, the ax stays in the barn.  Just in case........

1 comment:

  1. Geez, this is like deja vu or something. I had almost the exact same experience on the farm. I had an axe but didn't understand that I couldn't just hack away but had to do it carefully. Water splashed up on me and froze to my face. When I pulled the ice bits off, skin came with them. Oh, I was so happy...

    ReplyDelete