Sunday, October 9, 2011

Another Blast from the Past

So I've mentioned that I lived on a farm part of my growing up life...and what do you get when you take 3 kids from the city and put them on a farm?  Probably the same thing when you take a 30-year old from the big city and try to make her a farmer again. 

Here's a story from when I lived on the farm the first go-around:

So I was probably in 8th or 9th grade (I can remember what grade I was in because we moved around a lot and each grade corresponded to a town or school), so I stayed home "sick" LOL.  I probably did feel bad in the morning, but hey, everyone needs a mental health day.  And I was old enough to stay at home by myself--which makes the mental health day even better  :-).  Well we did have cows, and this must have been in the fall or spring, because all the cows were there.  (During the summer months we hauled them off to greener pastures--and I really do mean greener pastures).  So looking out the kitchen window you could see the pasture, and the cows.  And anyone who's been around cows for any amount of time, knows they are pretty habitual and dumb.  Their internal clocks go ding-a-ling when they see their owner's trucks go by, people walking to the barn, etc.  They know what's coming next--food.  So I'm at home feeling bored and mischievous and decide I'm going to play a little trick on them.  They see me in the kitchen window putting on my gloves, coat, hat, and one of them sounds the dinner call and they start heading to the corral.  I walk out the door slam it, and I can hear their little hooves slamming to go get food.  Hahaha.  Only the joke was on me--the door locked right behind me.  (is this reminiscent of a few blogs ago???). 

So here I was, coat, boots, and shorts (for some reason I didn't change that part), locked out of my house.  Hmmm...and of course the back door was also locked.  So what to do?  Guess I'll go wait in the wash house till Dad gets home, which was a couple of hours....LOL.  Oh boy.  I don't think he yelled at me, I think he just laughed--LOL.  Of course looking back on it--I can laugh too.

1 comment: